The Sé de Braga is located in the parish of the Cathedral, city and county Braga even district name in Portugal.
Constitutes the bishopric seat founded, according to tradition, by St. James the Greater here have left as first bishop his disciple, Saint Peter of Rates. Because of this apostolic origin is considered sacrosanct Primatial Basilica of the Iberian Peninsula, and its Archbishop, Primate of the Spains. It has its own liturgy, Braga liturgy.
Regarded as an Episcopalian irradiation center and one of the most important temples of the Romanesque in the country, here are the tombs of Henry of Burgundy, Count of Portugal and his wife, Teresa of Leon, parents of D. Afonso Henriques.
Based on the foundations of an ancient Roman market or temple dedicated to Isis, as witness a votive stone on the east wall, and the walls of a later Paleo-Christian basilica.
Your best documented history goes back to the work of the first bishop, D. Pedro de Braga, and corresponds to the restoration of the Episcopal Cathedral in 1070, that are preserved few traces.
In 1128 started a five-building chapels at the head, at the initiative of Archbishop Paio Mendes, partially destroyed by the 1135 earthquake Respecting the architectural canons of the Benedictines clunicenses, the works were directed by Nuno Palo.
In 1268 the works were not completed. The building continued to be modified with some artistic interventions, being particularly significant the porch, ordered built on the facade, by D. Jorge da Costa in the first years of the sixteenth century and which was to be completed by D. Diogo de Sousa. The latter sent to the bars that close now, and also changed the main entrance, (destroying two of its archivolts) and sent to run the apse and the chancel, the work of Castilho John dating from the early sixteenth century.
In 1688 he stood out works campaign promoted by Archbishop D. Rodrigo de Moura Teles, which changed the whole front in the baroque style, sending also run the dome that illuminates the cruise.
On the premises of the former home of the Cabildo, ordered built in the early eighteenth century, the Archbishop D. Rodrigo de Moura Telles currently finds himself the Treasury Museum of the Cathedral of Braga.
In the twentieth century it was placed next to the cloisters of the tomb taumaturga, religious and stigmatized, Sister Mary Divine Star, great popular devotion center. He celebrated his estate of sacred relics, which highlights the piece of a Mantle of the Virgin Mary in the Chapel of the Relics. There are chests containing the bones of many Saints, and is said legendary Holy Ark, whose contents will be outstanding, and went out in procession in the past, in the days of feasts.
It is classified as a National Monument since 1910.
The Romanesque church had the facade in this style, flanked by two bell towers which opens the main portal.
The interior consists of three naves with six spans and wooden cover, developed transept and a night with the apse surrounded by two apses.
The basic elements of this traces today are preserved except the head.
The altar is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. 
The core of the Cathedral of Romanesque sculpture survived to this day, being focused on portals (main and south side, the “Sun Gate”) and the capitals of the body temple. The front of the main altar in flamboyant Gothic style, is a fragment of the original altarpiece by Master Machin (c. 1510) .
The church has two pipe organs: the body on the side of the Gospel (1737) and the body of the Epistle (1739), works of Simons Fontanes and decorated in hoist Araújo Marceliano of authorship.
It is also remarkable the tomb of Prince Alfonso, son of John I of Portugal, style and Flemish origin; and the Gothic-Manueline baptismal font.