Ponte de Lima is a Portuguese village in Viana do Castelo District, Northern region and sub-region of Minho-Lima, with about 2 800 inhabitants. It is characterized by its medieval architecture and the surrounding area, bathed in the river Lima.
It is the seat of a municipality with 320.25 km ²  and 43,498 inhabitants (2011 ), divided into 39 parishes.  The municipality is bordered to the north by the municipality of Paredes de Coura, east by Arcos de Valdevez and Ponte da Barca, southeast of Vila Verde, south of Barcelos, west of Viana do Castelo and Caminha and northwest by Vila Nova de Cerveira.
very important locality from the Roman era, owned a palace Lion Kingdom of Court, documented by archaeological finds and other written documents.
Dona Teresa received charter on March 4, 1125.
It is here the originating Limiano cheese.
In the heart of the Valley of Lima, the Castiça and peculiar beauty of the oldest town in Portugal hides deep roots and ancestral legends. It was the Countess Teresa Lion who, in far-off date of March 4, 1125, granted charter letter to the village, referring to it as Terra Bridge. Years later, already in the fourteenth century, D. Pedro I, given the geostrategic position of Ponte de Lima, sent her wall, so the end result was a walled medieval town walls and nine towers, of which remaining two, several traces of the other and the whole defensive structure then, is making access to the village through the six doors.
Ponte de Lima View. The bridge, which gave name to this noble land, always acquired an importance of great significance throughout the Alto Minho, attending to be the only safe passage of the Lima River, in all its extension, until the end of the Middle Ages. The early was built by the Romans, which remains a significant section on the right bank of the Lima, a medieval and a remarkable architectural landmark, a lot with few examples that compare him in haughtiness, beauty and balance of the whole. obligatory reference in scripts, guides and maps, many of them old, describing the passage through it of thousands of pilgrims who demanded to Santiago de Compostela and still today transposing the same purpose.
From the eighteenth century urban expansion comes and with it the beginning of the destruction of the wall that embraced the village. Begins to thrive throughout the Ponte de Lima municipality, the opulence of the mansions that the nobility of the time was in charge of spreading. Over time, Ponte de Lima was thus adding to its natural beauty magnificent Gothic facades, Baroque, Neoclassical and nineteenth century, significantly increasing the historical, cultural and architectural value of this unique corner throughout Portugal.