Romanic Church Architecture (Stock Footage)

Romanic Church Architecture (Stock Footage)

The Pombeiro Monastery or Monastery of Santa Maria de Pombeiro is located in Pombeiro parish of Ribavizela, Felgueiras, Portugal. It was declared a National Monument by Decree 16 June 1910, DG 136 of June 23, 1910. The Monastery of Santa Maria de Pombeiro integrates the Romanesque Route.

The primitive Romanesque building dates from the years 1059 and 1102, which left only the two apses and the main portal, four archivolts. During the Philippine Dynasty, the exterior received two new towers. D. Gonçalo de Sousa Mendes “Good,” was the patron saint of this monastery. In 1770, with the arrival of Friar José de Santo António Vilaça it was renovated the interior of the church and built several carved altars. Extinct Religious Orders in 1834, the monastery was plundered and alienated, with a significant part of its stones and ashlars been harnessed to other works in the area.

by
by
by
by
by
by