3714 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

Hmm, that AppSumo stuff starts spamming you with ‘nice offers’ a day after you sign up. They offered me an eBook on advertising on Facebook – from $25 for $0! I hit unsubscribe, but I wonder how many 3rd parties they’ve shared wtih. After reading the terms, I noticed they’re allowed to share all your personal data :|

748 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
guitarjock says
Joost said
Hmm, that AppSumo stuff starts spamming you with ‘nice offers’ a day after you sign up. They offered me an eBook on advertising on Facebook – from $25 for $0! I hit unsubscribe, but I wonder how many 3rd parties they’ve shared wtih. After reading the terms, I noticed they’re allowed to share all your personal data :|

That bites. I just signed up for it yesterday. Luckily I have a great spam filter on my email account.

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says
Joost said
After reading the terms, I noticed they’re allowed to share all your personal data :|

Whoa, didn’t notice that… Oh well, Gmail is good at being trained and I’ll train it to consider them all spam, should they choose to do so… It’s actually their waste of time, not mine :D

499 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
TutelageSystems says
guitarjock said
Joost said
That bites. I just signed up for it yesterday. Luckily I have a great spam filter on my email account.

Apparently when you submit into the contest you are signing up with appsumo… I thought it was for the content, not their website :\

Unsubscribe for me as well

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

No spam here.

1236 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
HarveyDesign says
Joost said

This is why it is best to make a spare e-mail solely for the purpose of things like this, That way your main e-mail won’t get spammed up as this sort of thing is a common tactic for many sites in a bid to increase their newsletter numbers and then obviously send out unwanted “spam” or e-mails you perhaps wouldn’t naturally expect.

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says
HarveyDesign said
This is why it is best to make a spare e-mail solely for the purpose of things like this, That way your main e-mail won’t get spammed up as this sort of thing is a common tactic for many sites in a bid to increase their newsletter numbers and then obviously send out unwanted “spam” or e-mails you perhaps wouldn’t naturally expect.

Yep :)

Or, if you want to hunt down spammers, you can enable catch all for your domain email and sign up with their name. Ex: appsumo@mywebsite.com :D

Curious if there is anyone that does this and has a website where they list all spammers.

• Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Moderator says
digitalimpact said
Joost said
After reading the terms, I noticed they’re allowed to share all your personal data :|
Whoa, didn’t notice that… Oh well, Gmail is good at being trained and I’ll train it to consider them all spam, should they choose to do so… It’s actually their waste of time, not mine :D

Gmail didn’t catch it here, as it’s apparently a legit newsletter – but daily and with purely advertisements as content ;)

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Kosiii says

Nice linkback toward appsumo ;)

• Located in Netherlands
+9 more