18 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
sandymojo says

Are sellers here are still happy with such a low pricing structure at envato.? With high inflation rate worldwide & weakening of dollar, daily products prices have gone so high. The only way here to increase your income is to produce more work at faster rate but that’s only possible upto certain limit. Its now time to almost double the prices. All other stock sites keep restructuring their pricing plans then why not Envato?

Envato is growing day by day, with the help of you guys, when they needed products they accepted everything, now they are getting serious about quality & raising standards. It means that they now don’t want average designers who once contributed to envato in their initial phase. Why are they not concerned about sellers i don’t understand.

I know that lot of people who are earning well here will come up & start defending or praising them for whatever they are doing but unfortunately its not the truth for every seller here.

In the end, I will request videohive to kindly please consider increasing the prices & comeup with new plans asap.

kindly add your 2cents to this request.

460 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Russian Federation
+1 more
white-shade says

More prices = less sales

They never start to rise in prices. Such a pricing policy here.

18 posts
sandymojo says

More prices = less sales They never start to rise in prices. Such a pricing policy here.

I can bet if the prices are doubled the sales will not fall down by 50%.

855 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
MotionRevolver Reviewer says

There are quite a few threads on this subject already, and it always comes down to the same arguments.

Envato has built the world’s largest – and best – marketplaces for customizable digital content, by offering high quality items at extremely low prices. It’s the main reason we have nearly 750,000 members.

I’ve always argued that Envato could increase prices across the board by about 15-20% and not effect sales volumes. Common business sense suggests that they’ll have to increase prices at some point, but my opinion is it won’t happen for quite some time – years maybe.

There are also the buyers here who function on monthly or yearly budgets, so they’ll be spending the same amount of money whether a project costs $20 or $50. Raising prices means less sales to go around for more authors, which could have an interesting effect on the marketplace.

It might mean only the best projects would make sales, which could increase the author’s tendency to create higher quality content.

Basically, it boils down to the point that Envato knows it has an incredible business model which is functioning smoothly… so if it’s not broken, why fix it?

Personally I would like to see a slight increase in prices (about 15-20% as I mentioned above), but I’d be perfectly happy if things stayed the same as well. :)

2349 posts Small, but tough
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

@motionrevolver, I think the prices are slightly going up lately, maybe you didn’t noticed it, but I did ;)

202 posts
  • Argentina
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+1 more
sonorafilms says

It’s hard to compare vh authoring with other kinds of jobs, first, there’s no client-author direct relationship, no meetings, no crazy time frames, no last moment changes, no sudden budget reductions, etc, and it takes some time figure how it works, but for me it’s been a great experince, from the first sale to slowly building a decent portfolio that sells over 120 files a month. I really don’t have anything to say about the pricing policy other than it works. I’ve been working in this field for over 10 years and I’m not planning to become a full time vh author but it’s definitely a great way to make a few bucks, meet great people and have some fun doing what you love. Cheers!

1264 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

yeah right raise prices in the middle of the worlds’ worst economic downturn in 50 years, that’ll get us buyers to spend more… Not.

as one one of the sites’ top buyers, I can say.. my company sales are down, but I’m still an almost-daily buyer of content here, to be loyal and buy the best quality projects I can find. but if prices go up I’ll just buy fewer projects (I’ve been spending a lot less in fact the last 4-5 months because of the sustained bad economy)

Greed is Not good in the middle of a horrible generations-low high inflation high unemployment economy.

I’ve had to keep low pricing at my business, though what I sell is worth more than what I charge, just to keep sales alive.

This is a World Economic Crisis we’re in. Raising prices will just result in buyers being more picky and spending less. So the very very best authors will continue to do okay, but all the middle-skill and lower authors will simply starve (as they’ve been doing, already). If you raise prices you will lower overall sales. I spend a lot less than I used to on other template sites, for example, because others have higher prices.

Envato gets more visits, sales and traffic from me, and others, because they have a high-volume at low price model, and it works well for us.

Also because the licensing here is very strict, re single-project usage (where most other template sites have no such restrictions), when you factor in licensing restrictions envato’s actually a lot more expensive if you use their projects in more than 2-3 different projects. So the total cost here isn’t just the single-use price, it’s more the extended-license price, or 2-3x the single-use price, which gets very expensive if you have a favorite template you want to use in multiple projects. Other ae template sites don’t restrict usage that way, so they continue to get my business as well.

if it’s not broke don’t break it, lol

5069 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

kindly add your 2cents to this request.

Interesting topic, Sandymojo.

The price per project on Videohive is falling extremely rapidly in real-terms. Global inflation appears to be in check for the moment, but with the QE that’s been going on, that could all change. On top of currency inflation, there’s a kind of file inflation going on. Prices are the same or lower for projects that are of a much higher standard than certain things that were uploaded a while back. For the time being, this is being balanced out by increasing sales overall (and for individual authors a constantly rising cut). As an author, if you can sell in bulk, you’ll do reasonably well. For the majority that don’t, you probably won’t cover your costs.

However, I really think that VH’s pricing policy keeps most really experienced motion graphic designers away. The quality stuff is produced by a relatively small number of authors. It has been noted… by Ken (Graphic444) amongst others that Videohive receives a very large quantity of mediocre files and a very small quantity of high quality ones. That is almost certainly a factor of the pricing structure and the kind of author it attracts. I guess the balance is working for Envato at the moment and if they’re turning a profit, then that’s what’s driving the decision making.

For me, the two sides of the argument are as follows:

1. Videohive doesn’t pose a threat to the high-end, but serves a new market that beforehand probably didn’t exist. This is part of a general trend towards the televisualisation of the internet (and everything). Moving image is becoming absolutely ubiquitous and could provoke an absolute boom in the moving image industry.

2. Videohive represents part of a general trend in the (financial) devaluation of creative work, caused by the ease of movement of digital data via the internet. It’s globalisation in action, that initially at least is as good news for the developing world’s creative industry as it is bad news for the developed world’s creative industry. From the stock point of view, the danger is that a new competitor will pitch up and undercut Videohive. VH may just be a stage in a pricing race to the bottom.

If Videohive wants to function like the classic disruptive technology, then once they’ve conquered the low end, they’ll start to add quality and push prices up as they push into the traditionally higher-end territory. The question is really whether the disruptive technology is Videohive or the internet itself.

-f.

1264 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
graphic4444 says

that’s a brilliant post, felt – very well said, very intelligent and spot-on. all your points are absolutely correct. I like that word televisualization, that is how communications are evolving via the internet, will be interesting to see impact of mobile devices (in some countries most all internet access is via small portables, not desktops, eg cell phones/pad devices), which impact things like size/delivery format of creative media, in addition to content considerations. and all correct re globalization and pricing impacts. always good to read one of your posts, you make some very smart points. +1

cloud9communication
cloud9communication Recent Posts Threads Started
596 posts
  • India
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
cloud9communication says

Personally I would like to see a slight increase in prices (about 15-20% as I mentioned above),

actually 15-20% increase would be great and commission should also start for 60% to 85%

by
by
by
by
by
by